Portable equipment from a CoolSpot without the furniture that can be used to connect to cool.hub.imsa. See description below.
CoolSpotA physical meeting space where groups access the CoolHub.IMSA virtual platform. Each CoolSpot is furnished with:
CoolPort:A flat-screen monitor or a low profile, ceiling- or wall-mount video projector that displays web video conferences or broadcasts and can display an individual desktop. Two web cams: one for conferencing and one for recording activities in the CoolSpot or room where the CoolPort is set up. A microphone for recording and transmitting audio during the session. A dedicated computer is not required; a laptop may be hooked up to the projector. Ideally, the CoolPort is connected via a cable to the Interent (not wireless).
- Seating for 8. A variety of comfortable chairs and ottomans is suggested.
- A coffee table-height table that serves as a work space for the seating area.
- Whiteboard wall surface(s)
- Ideally, the coffee-table height table is a portable media station with a white board top, built-in microphone(s), power for laptops and other portable devices and controls for operating the wall display and room lighting.
- Adjustable lighting
- Catalysts to inspire playful thinking: Lego, electronics kits, puzzles, mystery objects, etc.
CoolJamAlso known as a Jam. A group session that meets in a CoolSpot or an event scheduled on cool.hub.imsa.
- Project: A project or topic undertaken by a collaborative group using cool.hub resources. Other possibilities: task, discovery
- Room: An online room where a collaborative group or team meets to develop its innovation, share information, media and documents. Other possibilities: Cube, node, space, thinkspace, Kiosk, Pole, Office, House,
- Group: The all-purpose name for a collaborative group working on a shared innovation. Other possibilities: Coin, pilgrims, travelers,
Toward a philosophy of collaborative innovation and place
Collaborative innovation depends on the ability of individuals to gather face-to-face and virtually for the purpose of breakthrough thinking and idea development. To this end, anytime communication and anywhere networking are essential. Participants must interact freely; they must not be constrained by roles they may have elsewhere as students, teachers, administrators, professors or business experts. Collaborative innovators work as peers. They tend to be motivated by the innovative idea or task itself.
CoolSpotscreate opportunities for collaborative innovation by providing an environment that:
- ...accommodates face-to-face Jams for up to 8 individuals;
- ...is a free and fun place to be;
- ...may be used on demand if no Jam is previously scheduled;
- ...provides sufficient connectivity to cool.hub.imsa, an easy-to-view visual display and at least one webcam for the purpose of integrating individuals and groups at other locations in the Jam;
- ...is furnished with seating that represents diversity and divergent thinking, is attractive, comfortable, easily arranged and maintained;
- ...provides reusable wall and table surfaces on which participants brainstorm, sketch and develop ideas;
- ...creates a memory of the Jam through audio-visual recording;
- ...facilitates simple, fingertip control of the networking and visual technologies;
- ...is not expected to be uniform—i.e., variations among CoolSpots allow for experimentation and testing the effectiveness of different types of space configurations, furniture, video displays, lighting, etc.
A conducive environment, by itself, is insufficient for fostering innovation. A culture of innovation is also required. As indicated, individuals must be motivated by the idea and the task; they must work together and trust one another. These dispositions are affected by the culture or climate in which the activity takes place. Leadership must encourage an open and supportive culture by establishing innovation as a strategic priority, being clear about its purpose, translating this into practice at all levels of an organization, identifying and addressing areas where innovation breaks down.